Why build accessible products?
- You won’t exclude anyone.
- You’ll expand your reach.
- You’ll improve your brand.
In some cases, it’s also a legal obligation.
Web Accessibility Directive
The European Directive (EU) 2016/2102 requires:
- websites and mobile applications of public sector bodies to conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 level AA,
- and publish an accessibility statement (Dutch).
This European Directive has been transposed into Belgian law (Dutch) on several government levels. The federal government service BOSA is responsible for creating awareness, training, enforcement, monitoring, and reporting.
Summary of the Web Accessibility Directive on EUR-Lex.
Its full title: “Directive (EU) 2019/882 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the accessibility requirements for products and services”.
This European Directive only applies to specific products and services. Including:
- online banking
- transportation services (air, bus, train and water)
The European member states must transpose this directive into national law by 2022.